Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jan 9 14 11:40 PM

Happy hunting, birdwench! Hope you can find the snowy owl!

That's sad about the snowy by you, John.  :-(  Unfortunately, not an uncommon happening when they irrupt to the south.  Odd about the ruptured artery, though--usually it's starvation that causes the attrition. 

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Last Edited By: hazelrunmama Jan 9 14 11:42 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

lue2009

fanatic

#42 [url]

Jan 11 14 10:42 AM

Wishing you luck birdwrench!

Lue, in the high desert mountains of Calamity Creek (a bit south of Alpine), TX
 Thistle socks (3), sunflower seed tube feeder, 1 ground feed area, 2 suet cages and brush pile in winter. Spring, summer and fall there are 3 hummer feeders and the brush pile.

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Jan 11 14 11:48 AM

birdwench, any luck? I imagine if the owl went that far south it is not finding food to eat.  :(

I went to visit one of the snowy owls again this morning! They are just so stunning. I feel SO lucky that there are two of these beautiful creatures just 20 minutes from my house.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kelly: watching a 1/4 acre backyard in a northern Minneapolis suburb.

Silver maple, oak, and crab apple trees with
lilac and raspberry bushes along the perimeter.
Heated birdbath and various feeders.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jan 11 14 12:08 PM

Lucky you, Kelly! How big are they compared to something else we are familiar with?

SE IL, 3A yard full of nuts, fruits, berries, seeds, cones for birds; 14A woods, creek and 10A mowed farmland. Over 50 feeders/ feeding stations in coldest of winter. Certified wildlife habitat since 2004.  Dust bath and three brushpiles.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jan 11 14 3:14 PM

Nice find, Kelly!!

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jan 11 14 3:30 PM

birdnutz, I think they are similar in size to great horned owls.

Thanks, hazel. If you want to take a roadtrip to the Twin Cities, we can go owling together. ;)

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jan 11 14 3:37 PM

This was not a good photo since I wasn't set up for a flying owl as the sun rose on this gloomy AM, but I did get to see the owl fly off of a pole, swoop down, and land back on the light pole.  :)

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 12 14 5:27 PM

Looks like a pretty nice BIF pic to me Kelly!

kelly deneen wrote:

Thanks, hazel. If you want to take a roadtrip to the Twin Cities, we can go owling together. ;)

That would be a blast!!  I might have to take you up on that!  We went out looking this morning – still no luck.  Bah!

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jan 12 14 5:38 PM

Thanks, Kelly, for the size info...that will help me when I see pics.

SE IL, 3A yard full of nuts, fruits, berries, seeds, cones for birds; 14A woods, creek and 10A mowed farmland. Over 50 feeders/ feeding stations in coldest of winter. Certified wildlife habitat since 2004.  Dust bath and three brushpiles.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#50 [url]

Jan 13 14 2:54 PM

Ooooooo - Kelly I love both of your latest photos.  That flying one is awesome on it's own; I'm sure one of the photos you'll remember 2014 by.  I can understand you wishing all the photographic karma had been in place - it is so close to being the kind of photo you could SELL :-)

Tracy - Seattle area, small suburban/rural yard near greenbelt and wetland areas; 1 each sunflower, nyjer, peanuts, sugar-water feeders + 3 suet cages + 1 small platform mixed fruit/nuts + 1 bird bath

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Dec 3 14 3:30 PM

I was going back through this thread today because it's that time of year when a few snowys show up in Washington.  The best place to see them is usually Damon Point - a state park near Ocean Shores WA.  But often there are at least a few sightings in the greater Seattle area and last week there was one hanging out near the pier in Edmonds (which is also close to a ferry terminal).  Also at Damon Point are snowy plovers so I'm thinking of heading over there on Saturday figuring that even if there is no owl (long shot), I can maybe add the plover to my life list.  

(Kelly, nice to see you posting this morning :-)  )

Tracy - Seattle area, small suburban/rural yard near greenbelt and wetland areas; 1 each sunflower, nyjer, peanuts, sugar-water feeders + 3 suet cages + 1 small platform mixed fruit/nuts + 1 bird bath

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Dec 4 14 4:25 PM

good luck, tracy! kelly tells me there are snowy owls along the 29 corridor just 20 miles north of here--i may take a stab at them later in the week. have to go up that way for boss, anyway--it'll just be a longer trip than usual. :D

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Dec 6 14 12:53 PM

Kelly, I just now saw your pics. of the Snowy Owl, congrats. great catch, enjoyed them.
Glad to see you are back and looking forward to your posts and pics.

luv2bird

2 Sunflower Hearts Auto Feeders,  1 Shelled Peanut Feeder,  2 Sunflower/ woodpecker Mix Platform Feeders,  4 Hanging Bell Seed Feeders,  1 Hanging "bell type" Roasted Mealworm Feeder,  1 unshelled Peanut Platform Feeder,  2 Mixed Bird Seed feeders,  2 Thistle Feeders,  2 Ground Feeders with Corn and a Critter Seed Block,  2 Corn Cob Feeders,  1 Brush Pile
/LandlockedS.W. PA./Sugar/Red Maple//Pines/Rose of Sharons/Allegheny/Downy Serviceberry/Hawthorns/2Burning bushes w berries   

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Dec 7 14 6:02 PM

Tried for snowy owls north of the 29 corridor today and got skunked. *sigh* I seem to have better luck with on-the-road birding if I leave the camera at home, so maybe next trip I'll go cameraless! :-)

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Dec 15 14 10:55 PM

Boy, do I ever know that feeling Hazel! I tried to keep a camera in the car all summer, then got out of the habit and have kicked myself more than once when I missed an opportunity (ditto for the binoculars - I bring them in the house for counting days, then forget to put them back in the car).

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Dec 20 14 4:58 PM

Today we took another drive and forgot both camera and binoculars. *sigh* (In my defense, we were just going to pick up some eggs and milk and really hadn't planned on an extended drive.) Of course, since I had no way to tell what they were, we saw multiple large flocks of sparrow-like birds. Lots of bald eagles posing that I couldn't take advantage of, either. Arrrggggghhhhhhhhh! At least we didn't run across any snowy owls! That would have been unbearable! LOL

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Mar 23 15 10:15 PM

great shots

You are very lucky to have seen such a beautiful bird.  Ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help