Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 7 13 1:37 PM

Tags : :

Sit at your feeder, or go outdoors and watch birds in flight. The birds will be in motion but will return again and again to familiar angles. John Muir Laws suggests “closing your eyes to clear your brain, then open them for a moment like the shutter of a camera, then close your eyes once again. A moment of flight will be briefly etched in your vision. Make a fast sketch of what you saw by jotting down the angle of the leading edge of the wing and the contour of the belly.” 

Try this exercise over and over again to get the impressions of a particular bird in flight. 

Upload your sketches here. See examples from Elizabeth attached. 

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Jan 13 13 2:14 PM

I sat down for a few minutes to watch as the Cardinals and House Sparrows flew up to the feeder closest to the window. I tried to close and open my eyes to get a picture in my mind of the birds in flight and sketch them.

Small backyard near Chesapeake Bay deciduous trees, shrubs, brush piles 4 feeders (BOSS, Nyjer, peanuts, fruit/nut/seed mixture) and suet 2 birdbaths (1 heated)

Quote    Reply   

lyn

superstar

#3 [url]

Jan 13 13 8:02 PM

Beautiful gesture sketches James! 
What type of pen are you using for these bold black lines ?

Suburban yard with trees & shrubs, New Brunswick, Canada

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Jan 14 13 7:40 AM

Thanks Lyn. I was using a Zig .5mm ball point archival pen.

Small backyard near Chesapeake Bay deciduous trees, shrubs, brush piles 4 feeders (BOSS, Nyjer, peanuts, fruit/nut/seed mixture) and suet 2 birdbaths (1 heated)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 21 13 2:06 PM

Here are more "memory snapshots" of birds in flight.  Most of these are of the very cold birds visiting my feeders yesterday.  A few of these are based on a quick glance at hummingbird photos I took while on Catalina Island last week, so I also included a more detailed hummingbird sketch that I completed while looking more closely and at greater length at the photograph.  Between these and the flight model studies, I'm beginning to better understand the mechanics of bird wings.

Greg; Mpls, MN
Urban back yard with red and white cedars, pagoda dogwoods

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 21 13 7:45 PM

This exercise looks interesting--may try it once the temps get back up above 0°F  o.O  Seems like it would be good practice for identifying birds by flight strokes/patterns. 

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help