Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Jan 21 13 3:06 PM

@ margaret .  Great sketch.  so sweet.  When Phobe is making the nest a lot of bugs go into it for feeding time.  She drinks nector from the plants and the lovely sugar water the owners make for her.  They are trying to protect her from the hawks and crows squirrels that often threaten the babies.  I think she is going on her 7th year being with them in there yard.  It is amazing to watch.  I have 50 during the summer but no babies i ever find nesting.  I never even see any left over nests in winter.  they go deep into the woods here.  ruby red throats.  Ginny H.  

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Jan 21 13 7:56 PM

Greg, you're making me blush.  o.o  But thank you.  Coming from someone with your talent, that's high praise!  And the blushing warms my face (LOL--cold here in WI, too!  brrrrrrrrr). 

Ginny, that's how we are, too!  We have scads of hummers every year, but can't find any nests!  I even go out back and watch where they disappear into the trees....still can't find any!! 

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help