Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Jan 5 13 3:17 AM

I feel like the girl who says the dog peed on my homework.  lol   I did this drawing saturday before company arrived.  My husband was doing a puzzle and I enjoyed doing this drawing with my new color pencils I had gotten for christmas.  Calm before the storm.  What a storm. 3 of us got sick. then my husband.  things got in quite an uproar around here and now after several attempts to scan I can not find my original.  2 A.m now and i have looked for several days.  I give up in hopes that makes me come across it tomorrow.  here is the art.  hopefull the photo will appear Sunday.  Ginny H.  

Click here to view the attachment

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jan 6 13 8:37 AM

Lyn,
Beautiful watercolor and photograph!  Nice backlighting or sidelighting of the wing feathers!

Greg; Mpls, MN
Urban back yard with red and white cedars, pagoda dogwoods

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 7 13 3:23 PM

@aallan: Can you say more about your process of using the vellum? What qualities does the vellum you're using have that make you like using it so much? 

BTW, you beat us to the punch! One of the Stage 4 activities is to use tracing paper -- maybe you can share some of your experiences over there as well...

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jan 7 13 6:58 PM

@aallen - I completely get your frustration, though can't share your hatred- that hummingbird is beautiful! But, to your particular frustrations, "Laws Guide to Drawing Birds" has a few helpful suggestions when it comes to hummingbirds, and drawing feathers in general. 

If this were any other activity than "reproducing bird photos," the suggestion would be to just make the wings a blur. Since the human eye can't track motion of the wings, representing them as a "blurred ghost" is recommended. Silly (and wonderful) cameras for being fast enough to capture their wings in a photo. 

One trick Laws recommends is to suggest feathers, instead of drawing them all individually. Show the contrasting edge of a feather instead of of outlining each feather. You did a really great job of this along the breast of your hummingbird. Even though we're looking at reproducing a photograph, don't kill yourself over every line on every feather- we're using the photo as a guide, not a taskmaster. 

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 7 13 7:02 PM

@hutchgigi, sorry to hear of everyone in the house getting sick. It is definitely flu season and unfortunately many were in the same boat over the holidays. 
Don't worry about losing that photograph. I did the same thing in the first example sketch. The loon I drew had a picture to go along with it but I lost it. I know it can be so frustrating when you look high and low for something and it just won't turn up!
Tell me about the colored pencils you got for Christmas. I got some, too! Drawing with colors has changed my experience of drawing birds. Has it changed your experience at all? 

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 16 13 11:02 AM

So - since this is what I've been doing mostly - here's where I will post my "catch alls"
I'm looking forward to our live drawing event at the museum on the 21st - so I can work with actual animals and LOOKING - really seeing, rather than just relaying what i see in images.

If you are in town, (*Minnesota - St. Paul) - on Jan. 21st, we are doing a scientific illustration activate session
hope to see you there!

Baby bird being hatched...  Who has seen baby birds hatching before?  I don't think they end up on their back like this do they?  This seems posed.  My partner and I were debating this the other night, and I think he has a point... I'd think they'd come out face first and climb out?

lastly, some quick sketches of crows - because i love them

It's a great day to make things. abbiaallan.com/home.html

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

Jan 16 13 6:51 PM

Aallan thanks for the nice words.  I had to look twice to see if it was me you were talking about the lines and color pencils.  Great praise coming from you.  Your work is fantastic and shows so much feeling.  I was at the boston science and could have spent the whole day watching the birds hatch.  Loved it.   Pheboe is a humming bird i watch each year and see her babies hatch on line. peck with the beak  poke their way into the world spread there wings and push the egg aside.  All in that little walnut size shell.  Today showes the babies.   Ginny H.  

Phoebe Allens Hummingbird Webcam and Phoebe Allensshared a link.

); background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: initial; bottom: 5px; height: 26px; left: 5px; position: absolute; width: 35px; background-position: 0px 0px; background-repeat: no-repeat no-repeat; ">

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 19 13 3:26 PM

So I know the sketch thing is *officially* over, but why stop, eh? And I got the watercolor pencils and just *had* to try them on something, so here are this morning's experiments.

First is a redwing blackbird, with the photo from the book "Backyard Songbirds" by Marcus Schneck. The photo itself is by Don Johnston.

The texture was harder to reproduce w/ the pencils than I anticipated on the feathers. But I like the intensity of color on the red & yellow, and am pleased w/ parts of the drawing. Hate the feet. (Ever the critic, you know.)

Next we have a European Robin. The original can be seen here.
Am much happier with this one. Of course, I didn't try to do feet here. ;-)  I also was able to do layering of pencil over the wash to give good texture and more color intensity (which was harder to do w/ the black -- although I did w/ some blues and purples on the blackbird, not that you can tell in the photo).

Overall, a nice beginning for some fun new tools. Thanks to the Feedersketch gals for the prizie!

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

Jan 20 13 3:04 AM

Nice to come back after 2 weeks of computer problems to some lovely sketches!! 

I was able to do some sketching on my 'time away', but now can't get the scanner to work properly to share them.  *sigh*  Ah, well...I guess PFW Sketch is done, anyway?  But still...bah!  LOL  I hate computers.... 

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 20 13 9:16 PM

Finally got the scanner up so I'll add the last of my sketches here even though the project is over.  o.o  Wasn't sure where else to put them--they're composites of a lot of the exercises--drawing from photos; looking at tails, wings, legs, beaks; minute drawings and gestures. 

Four groups: Downy woodpeckers, Warblers, White-breasted nuthatches and American goldfinches

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Jan 21 13 12:57 PM

Thanks, Nick.  Looks like I'm going to have to sketch more and take fewer pics, so I'll get lots of practice.  o.O

Margaret, are those from one of the hummer web cams?  So cute!  Every year I search for hummer nests and have never managed to find one.  Not even after the season is over and the leaves are down!

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jan 21 13 2:36 PM

Hazelrunmama,

Thanks much for sharing the final compilation of your beautiful drawings.  I hope that you will be able to continue your exquisite recording of our natural world.  There a fitting inspiration on what is a very cold day here in Minnesota!

Greg; Mpls, MN
Urban back yard with red and white cedars, pagoda dogwoods

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help