Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jan 7 13 6:34 PM

@phyllisiroot -- Over in One Minute Sketches, we're talking with lyn about the differences between details you can capture using different tools and I wonder if you've found any differences in the way you sketch or the details you capture using pen vs. pencil vs. other mediums?

Beck

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Jan 7 13 7:36 PM

@hutchgigi, I second Barbk, your dove silhouette is lovely. It seems drawing a silhouette can sometimes be really helpful for narrowing down bird identification. Can't birders identify some birds by their silhouette alone?  

While in Costa Rica I was trying to draw a bird of prey sitting on a telephone wire but it was backlit and I could not see many details. I took a photograph and hoped maybe I could fill in more details on my sketch from the photo. Well, as you can see, the photo did not help much with the details but it is a great photo to use for a silhouette or negative space drawing. I am offering it up to you Ginny or anyone who would like to use it!

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

bella39

superstar

#24 [url]

Jan 8 13 2:39 PM

Love these!  Saddly I can not even draw a stick figure, Nice work!

bella Extreme North Central NJ. Mixed Deciduous and Coniferous forested area. Seasonal brook and wet lands, close by local lakes and State Park. 4 Feeders

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Jan 8 13 5:24 PM

I tried drawing a silhouette from Margaret's picture of the Costa Rican bird of prey. I also tried a negative space version of the same thing. I ended up rendering them at quite different scales. You would have thought you would have been able to lay the silhouette inside the whitespace of the negative space drawing and have them match up, but that's not what happened for me -- I guess because I could keep adding to the outer edges of the silhouette to try to capture all the contours, but had to keep carving in to the negative space one which kept making it smaller and smaller. 

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jan 8 13 7:13 PM

Just for you.  You could have gotten a lot more if the Silhouette was flying.   Those drove me crazy also..  Ginny H. 

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/h-l/Hawk_silhouettes.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/HawkPrimer.html&h=357&w=568&sz=23&tbnid=v5iVM-dUm65XUM:&tbnh=74&tbnw=117&prev=/search%3Fq%3DSilhouette%2Bof%2Bhawks%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=Silhouette+of+hawks&usg=__p1Jo-L8TxJpPYruhALTV77UPNW4=&docid=T9T6jtQaUO0wrM&sa=X&ei=sKfsUPr2D8S20QHo8oDYCA&ved=0CEQQ9QEwBA&dur=2509

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jan 10 13 4:22 PM

@hutchgigi, these silhouettes are wonderful. I am going to try drawing them. Would you try with me? 

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#29 [url]

Jan 14 13 3:36 PM

@Hutchgigi, on my desktop I saved this image as "ForHutchgigi." Confession, while I was drawing last night my roommate was using my computer to watch old tv shows online. So instead of using the image you posted, I used silhouttes from my "Birds of Prey" book. The second thing I wanted to point out is that the drawings were done using a partial-blind method. So I tried not to look down at my pen while I drew, but I did look down every now and then. It was fun to draw this way, I do hope you'll try it! Then I colored the silhouettes in with my colored pencils. Did you ever find yours?

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 14 13 3:42 PM

Great Job, Glad you enjoyed and how nice of you to share your computer.  lol  Even though my 27 year old brought her computer home with her I often found her on my lap top cause she was charging her's. lol  NEVER found my Penciles and really annoyed by the whole thing.  Really takes away from my focus other then clearing out corners in the house.  Courtney offered to reorder them but I want to keep looking.  Not like they have feet.  ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jan 16 13 1:00 PM

The way you used shading within your sillowett (sp?) - really shows the volume of the bird with the use of mark making, directions and shading.  I really love this technique.  You are not only seeing the bird in this drawing, but feeling it physically   - through it's form

It's a great day to make things. abbiaallan.com/home.html

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Jan 16 13 6:21 PM

I was looking for other photo's and came across this white breasted nut doing a dance to chase a squirrel off the picnic table.  for you wing drawers I am sharing.  Ginny H. 

Quote    Reply   

bella39

superstar

#33 [url]

Jan 17 13 9:46 AM

[image]
@bella39 You should try a sketch, even if you think you can't! I really liked starting with Drawing to See, but feel free to try an activity and see where it takes you. You might be surprised!

-feedersketch

Julia Thank you for that link, when I have time this weekend I will give it a try!

bella Extreme North Central NJ. Mixed Deciduous and Coniferous forested area. Seasonal brook and wet lands, close by local lakes and State Park. 4 Feeders

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 21 13 10:55 AM

Turkey tail and wing silhouette.  The Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge headquarters feeders have a wealth of birds.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help