Remove this ad

barbk

fanatic

#61 [url]

Jan 12 13 6:59 PM

Ginny, I believe you have my Flicker.  Please return him as soon as possible.   I miss him!

By the way, Ginny, beautiful back yard. 

Barbara, Jersey shore, backyard 1/4 acre with mostly oak trees. 6 feeders, suet, and 2 bird baths.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#62 [url]

Jan 12 13 8:22 PM

Ginny, sorry your young'un is spreading her wings once again and heading out west!  But it's truly very nice out here, so no worries.

Wow, one and one!  Not much, so glad you can get by with a normal number!

Nick

Nick Whelan Corte Madera (Bay Area), CA – a small rural/suburban yard landscaped for wildlife, at the edge of extensive forest- and chaparral-covered wild land. 15 feeders. www.flickr.com/photos/nick-eurohobby

Quote    Reply   

#63 [url]

Jan 13 13 2:11 PM

Haven't been on the forums much lately and am trying to get some sketching done before PFW Sketch is over. Here is a male Cardinal from memory and from a photo. The crest and the black around the bill were pretty easy to remember. The overall shape of the bird, shape of the wings against the bird, bill shape and eye position were all things I took note of when sketching from the photo after trying from memory.

Click here to view the attachment

Small backyard near Chesapeake Bay deciduous trees, shrubs, brush piles 4 feeders (BOSS, Nyjer, peanuts, fruit/nut/seed mixture) and suet 2 birdbaths (1 heated)

Quote    Reply   

#64 [url]

Jan 14 13 3:51 PM

@hutchgigi, Thanks for posting the photo of the Flicker. I have only ever seen a Flicker as a study skin (in other words no longer living.) I will try to do a drawing from the beautiful Flicker photograph you posted as part of my draw 50 bird eyes challenge. 
Do you know if there are many types of Flickers in the U.S.? I ask because I am not sure if the Flicker in your photo is the same type as the one I did a quick sketch of at our sketch-a-thon. Can you tell from my sketch? I am thinking I probably did not capture enough detail since my original intention was just to get a simplified, artistic rendition.
@Barbk, living in Jersey do you have the same laws and regulations around the number of feeders and bird baths you are allowed to have on your property? 

Quote    Reply   

#65 [url]

Jan 14 13 4:16 PM

@hutchgigi -- Do you always keep your sketchbook by the window?  Also, does the puzzle get in the way of your sketching or do you keep the book in your lap?  I also want to see a picture of this quilt you made. My mom wants to make a quilt of some of my sketches and I'm curious to see different approaches.  Will you share it?

Beck

Quote    Reply   

#69 [url]

Jan 14 13 6:34 PM

Wow so glad you got a photo of his sketches.  Awesome work on his part.  Yes I will share a photo of Al quilt.  I started making quilts back in 81.  I was a int dec and sewing major in Hs.  college  and have gone down hill since spinal cord surgery.  Finger skills declined and translation of directions into actual product.  needless to say I struggle through and have made some 28 or more quilts over the years.  Baby, wedding, 60th birthday.  90th birthday.   My mom wanted a quilt for her lap when sitting in a chair and wanted to see her 13 kids.  Back in 1999.  We were not as advanced as today and i had to put a lot of thought into how to do this.  While walking in the mall saw the kiosk doing calender with photo's so i handed him the photo and came home to find it really was too stiff.  Back I went had tea shirt and fusion still did not like it.  Went back with some good cotton and said can you just put it on this.  Away I went.  She enjoyed it and was burried with it.  Sad part became that at wakes quilts i made were hung over the kneeling stand.  :(   I was not liking this.  But kept my mouth shut.  I made my dads quilt after he passed so i have it for me.  His PJ and stuff. flannel shirts.  photo's.  Well art therepy.  Ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#70 [url]

Jan 14 13 8:18 PM

Beck, if you mean which i liked better between drawing from photo or memory, I suppose I preferred drawing from the photo. I don't feel I'm familiar enough with most birds to be able to do an accurate drawing from memory so I like to have a subject to give me more to work with.

Small backyard near Chesapeake Bay deciduous trees, shrubs, brush piles 4 feeders (BOSS, Nyjer, peanuts, fruit/nut/seed mixture) and suet 2 birdbaths (1 heated)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#71 [url]

Jan 14 13 8:44 PM

Hi Margaret, the photo I included was a northern flicker which is also in west but has different red when they fly and here in east it is yellow.  If you are in arz/  there is a guilded flicker.  In a sketch they would all look pretty much the same.  ginny H.  [image]@hutchgigi, Thanks for posting the photo of the Flicker. I have only ever seen a Flicker as a study skin (in other words no longer living.) I will try to do a drawing from the beautiful Flicker photograph you posted as part of my draw 50 bird eyes challenge. Do you know if there are many types of Flickers in the U.S.? I ask because I am not sure if the Flicker in your photo is the same type as the one I did a quick sketch of at our sketch-a-thon. Can you tell from my sketch? I am thinking I probably did not capture enough detail since my original intention was just to get a simplified, artistic rendition. 

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#72 [url]

Jan 15 13 3:05 PM

@james -- There's a nice intersection between what you're saying about photos vs. memory vs. live birds here, in feedersketches and also birds in flight and a discussion we're having about illustrations vs. photos vs. sketches over in LOL.

What I'm realizing is that sketching a live bird is sort of a composite drawing (like field guide illustrations are) and a memory drawing because birds move so quickly.  To quote Zen of Seeing, the book that inspired our Drawing to See activity, 

How to draw a crowd? It seems impossible to draw this chaos in which every single element, every individual, moves constantly. Perhaps the warp and woof of the composition is an instant vision, flashing in the mind the moment I begin.

The hand moves and keeps moving, jumping as in a dance; lines without stopping move from figure to figure. As one of the apparitions (real enough to himself!) moves out of field of vision, his after-image sometimes persists on the retina, so that he has not really vanished yet and can be completed in absentia. But more often heads are matches promiscuously with bodies already gone. One woman's arm becomes another's. 

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Jan 15 13 3:12 PM

THEY WERE found in guest room under towles on my mother in law dresser of 1930.  Cleaning girl found them.  since i said hay if you see this cylender with color penciles.  Courtney had art pad sketch pad with it all so we have to blame her.  She gave them to me so she is happy.  :)   I am happy:)  .  Here is stuff I did yesterday.  before penciles were found.  Ginny H.  doing the so happy dance... 

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Jan 15 13 7:30 PM

Beck, I completely agree about live sketches being like composite and memory drawings. If a bird's position changes as you sketch, you can continue to sketch the original position, extrapolating shapes, colors, and details as the bird moves. Or if a bird you are sketching flies away and is replaced by another bird of the same species, it would be easy enough to pick up sketching one where you left off with the other. I feel that any such composite sketch could be just as helpful as a sketch of one motionless bird when it comes to identification.

Quote    Reply   

#78 [url]

Jan 16 13 11:40 AM

Lyn, I can definitely see that your connection to SEEING - really is the way we draw. I definitely observe a tremendous amount of progress.  The position of that bird on the sewet (?) - feeder - I can feel the gravity of the bird on the swing.

I love the woodpecker on the stump as well.   You're adding such a great sense of place and space... just lovely progress.  KEEP IT UP!

It's a great day to make things. abbiaallan.com/home.html

Quote    Reply   

#79 [url]

Jan 16 13 11:43 AM

Hi James,  What I love most about your cardinal from memory is it's really strong graphic quality, and how it has such strength to it.  It also has more volume  - the chest has more body than the one drawn from the images.  Basically, I wanted to say the one you did from your memory is really strong! 

This could be a really great graphic for something... work on it, simplify it.....  That first cardinal really speaks to me.

Quote    Reply   

#80 [url]

Jan 16 13 11:47 AM

Hi James and Beck. 

Even though I just personally gushed about James' cardinal from memory, I'm with you on wanting to work from a photograph.  I feel like it gives me time to really "see" and understand birds better.  When I do it from memory, I tend to put generic forms to the bodies and beaks, my bird feet turn into fantasies. 

Taking the time to see - and those new discoveries you make through observation - It's almost as fun as the mark making itself.  Wait no... I might actually prefer it, but I think it depends on the hour of course.  :) 

I love tracing even more.  it shows me the assumptions I make about space and relationships between objects.  That's a good practice as well.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help