Remove this ad

#41 [url]

Dec 28 12 1:13 PM

@aallan -- How many birds are in that party?  I count four-ish.

Beck

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Dec 28 12 4:33 PM

Love your downy, Greg!

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

Jan 6 13 8:24 AM

I'm trying to get a jump on the next stage since I'm away for ten days during the Stage 4 activities.  Here'e another bird drawn from memory and then drawn from a photograph.  Relying on what I've learned about bird anatomy, my remembered Nuthatch at least has better proportions than my first drawing -- the Northern Cardinal. 

Greg; Mpls, MN
Urban back yard with red and white cedars, pagoda dogwoods

Click here to view the attachment

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Jan 6 13 5:06 PM

Both very nice.  I do not remember is such detail.  As far as birds go.  give me a room lay out and i am there.  Funny how the brain is so selective.  Maybe if I think of bird feathers beaks and feet as furniture.  lol  Even bird colors throw me.  Maybe it is i see it in my mind and do not get it complete on paper.  Thats what makes the world go round.  ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Jan 7 13 6:21 PM

@hutchgigi -- Do you ever sketch with the intention of not sharing it on the forum?  I wonder if you might try and report back how sketching was different not having to worry about anyone else seeing it or figuring out the scanner issues to get it up here?

Beck

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Jan 7 13 6:32 PM

Sure will try.  thanks for the idea Beck.  ginny H. 

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Jan 9 13 9:40 PM

Playing catch up today...
I was in a meeting and decided that it was a good occasion to do my "Draw a Bird" activity, since we were waiting for folks who were late. (As a side note, I don't think it was necessary to start the meeting 20 minutes late because people were late, but I wasn't running the meeting and thus my own pet peeves were irrelevant. Oh well. Gave me time to doodle.)
Have some birds. They're done in ball point pen, on lined paper, rather than the usual pencil on art paper.

There's a ....something-bird, a Cardinal, and a Junco. I was playing with funny POVs for the cardinal and junco just for the fun of it. I do feel like I've learned more about how to draw birds, and am more confident in how they fit together and move and fill space.

Still much more practice needed. Perhaps more delayed meetings?

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Jan 11 13 1:43 PM

@leinawea-

I tend to doodle all the time along the side of my paper, especially when meeting are delayed! Were these from memory? Did anyone in your meeting notice or comment?

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Jan 11 13 4:40 PM

I love the Doodles, My husband was great at drawing doodles on yellow pads.   When he retired from Science I made him a quilt with reprints i had saved for 30 years of his doodles.  Just took the best ones.  Most were science stuff some cartoon people mixed molecules.  lol  Gotta love the doodles. ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jan 11 13 5:50 PM

Beck yesterday I saw a photo set of your work place and today I can not find it anywhere.  Yes I loose things a lot.  however today i found that calender of my blue bird i drew.  lol  I was hanging on the side of the computer desk which meant i scanned it and it did not save to my lap top and i thought job done hung it up.  Also did look through it and did not see that blue bird.  My 27 year old heads back to Calif. Berk. so I will get back on track i hope.  I did want to share work station which is were I now share with hubby puzzle.  (he is taking over the table for sure.)   dogs help me watch birds chase cats.  If I could chang anything I would bump out the windows so I can get a 360 view and take out the deviders in the middle of these windows.  They do get in my way. When I need a great view i smush my face up on the glass. lol  When i want to see in the woods or up the hill I need bio.  
 ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jan 11 13 5:55 PM

Taking photo's to the right I have two screens off the windows but the thrid one is still on and gets in the way.  I also find with this insulation between the windows glass it often blurrs the photo in a smokey way.  Ginny H. 

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jan 11 13 6:03 PM

Ginny, these are exactly the kinds of pictures I love seeing in the topic "What does your count site look like" in the Photos to Share category.  What a great yard!
Nick

Nick Whelan Corte Madera (Bay Area), CA – a small rural/suburban yard landscaped for wildlife, at the edge of extensive forest- and chaparral-covered wild land. 15 feeders. www.flickr.com/photos/nick-eurohobby

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jan 11 13 6:32 PM

@leinawea, love your doodle birds! Was the experience any different working on lined paper with a ballpoint pen vs. your usual pencil on art paper? If so, what was the difference for you? 

Personally, I tend to only doodle geometric shapes in pen on my lined paper. I think this is due to both the structure imposed by the lines and how permanent the ink feels. 

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jan 12 13 12:35 PM

@Julia -- No one in the actual meeting commented -- it's probably that I don't know this group well enough yet; in previous jobs I've had folks remark. (I've always been an inveterate doodler.) And when I got back to the usual office I had several comments when I shared the various items that I learned in the meeting and the people who *did* know me caught sight of my art.

The birds were entirely from memory. Other than the first one, which I wasn't trying for a specific species, just general types of markers, I thought I'd remembered what the cardinal & junco looked like better than my first bird-from-memory exercise at the beginning of this project.

@Margaret -- I have doodled in the margins of my notes since I was a kid in school, so it's one of the most familiar paper/utensil combos for me! I have actually kept a lot of my notes from high school, college, and grad school simply for the art. I remember learning about what doodles are supposed to "mean" in a HS-level psych class -- after we'd all done sample doodles, of course -- things like squares meaning regimented thought, triangles meaning sex, that sort of thing. I read all this, and then looked down at my intricate and detailed dragon drawing that I had done and was at a complete loss. :-)

I do find that I prefer ball point pens to the gel pens when it comes to doodling, but the reverse for writing. Gel pens tend to have a very even, consistent flow of ink which makes for great, smooth writing but doesn't allow for shading very easily. Ball points you can really vary the amount of ink you get on the page and the texture of the image as a result.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jan 12 13 12:42 PM

Hi Nick.  This was not for that this was for the sketching class.  It was a reply to Beck.  I have shared my yard and feeder stations on that sight a while ago.  Ginny H. 

Quote    Reply   

barbk

fanatic

#57 [url]

Jan 12 13 2:11 PM

Ginny, just lovely.  Leinawea and Glecker, love your drawings.  I tend to draw poinsettia-like things when I doodle.  Can't draw at all.

Barbara, Jersey shore, backyard 1/4 acre with mostly oak trees. 6 feeders, suet, and 2 bird baths.

Quote    Reply   

#58 [url]

Jan 12 13 3:32 PM

see Nick I thought you were yelling at me for putting it in the WRONG place.  lol   Glad you like my back yard.  I do too even if I am over my feeder limit for the community rules.  I get away with hit due to the wooded back yard.  No crabby control freaks to complain on me.  I put a suet in the blastic tray still on my flat feeder and the flicker is enjoying it a lot.  Ginny H. 

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Jan 12 13 6:54 PM

ONE and One bird bath.  Make me laugh.  Glad I live on a cal de sac facing a wood and farms beyound.  My red head flys back to your lands sunday and I am feeling so sunken after a month of having her company.  empty nest again.  :(    I think we need some bird symbols instead of smily faces.  Ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help