Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 12 12 12:57 AM

I think all birds have some memorable or striking features that you remember once you've identified them in the wild.  To identify a bird for the first time you have to have noted some of the field marks and checked with a guide of some sort.  And probably, each time you identify that bird subsequently, you'll learn more field marks and more about its behavior.  I think the features or behaviors we've used in the identification process are the ones that stand out in our memories.  The little details might get lost when trying to draw from memory, even for birds seen every day, like chickadees and nuthatches, but the basics will be captured in the drawing...

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Dec 12 12 1:01 AM

Really great drawings.  wow.  Can i ask how you are uploading these.  I have had a problem with my husband taking a photo with his phone and I upload them.  They are coming out so small it is hard to see them.  Any suggestions?  Ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Dec 12 12 1:07 AM

Try taking the picture with your camera instead of with the phone, Ginny.  Then just upload like you would an ordinary photo.  It should work the same as it does for the pics you post of your birds.

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Dec 12 12 1:20 AM

Yes Hazel I do that with other items.  lol  I also was scanning but of course i ran into scan troubles. then the busy hit and i have not gotten back to any of it.  Enjoy the snow.  Ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

lyn

superstar

#27 [url]

Dec 14 12 11:55 AM

Stage Two Draw a Bird Activity....small steps towards learning to see...I find myself looking at the birds and feeders in a different way this week........feeling awkward but telling myself to keep doing sketches, to keep connecting the eyes, brain and hand with the paper.....

Click here to view the attachment

Suburban yard with trees & shrubs, New Brunswick, Canada

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Dec 15 12 1:40 PM

Hi Guys,  I am playing catch up.  My scanner was not working and I wanted to present the drawings in a good size.  I am gonna try and throw my mind into birds today and get it off the tragic news of yesterday and the school in Conn.  Other then Praying for all involved I am of no help.  It is a scary world we live in.  
My second day bird count is today and Al just hung our roost box for protection of our birds when the snow and wind comes.  All birds invited.  well not the starlings.  lol  I did see the carolina wren go into the old bird house on the patio and may prefer this to the fire pit.  Stay safe Ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Dec 17 12 10:05 AM

The Black Capped Chickadee, one of my favorite birds, is a great aerialist; but here are drawings of one sitting from memory and from a photograph.

Greg; Mpls, MN
Urban back yard with red & white cedars, pagoda dogwoods

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#33 [url]

Dec 17 12 11:00 PM

Thanks, Beck I sure was happy to have it behave.  I was sketching today and My 27 year old was home from Berkeley looking over my shoulder,   hmmmmmmm  Hay mom did you try this.  lol  then she came down with her char sticks.  I was asking her to hand over some supplies..  I gave her the look  .   My kids would run rings around my drawings.  Then I heard i am getting supplies for christmas from the graphic artist up in boston.   Just warning you Now I have ALL this help and the scanner is working.   LOL   Look our world.  Ginny H.  

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Dec 27 12 7:56 PM

Awesome!  I love the movement in this, aallan!

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Dec 27 12 8:01 PM

@ wildeyedpainter, could you share a sketch where you included some notes, and a sketch where you didn't? I'm curious what made you decide to include notes only some of the time. 

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Dec 27 12 8:30 PM

aallan, I love your style!

My image of a bird drawn from memory always makes me laugh – even more so when I compare it with the drawing from a photo.  One remembers some details; but the connections and proportions between these details are quite humorous.   I trust that I will re-file a more accurate memory of the bird I drew from a reference photo. 

Greg; Mpls, MN

Urban back yard with red and white cedars, pagoda dogwood

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Dec 28 12 1:11 PM

@glecker -- Why don't you draw the bird from memory again and see?  

Also, do you recall any moments of insight while you were drawing the bird from a photo about differences you'd exaggerated, misplaced or forgot?

Beck

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help