Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 26 12 4:21 PM

Tags : :

Sit at your feeder and fill a page with sketches. Sketch birds, feeders, the habitat, make shapes...draw whatever you like, large or small. The point of this activity is to warm your eyes, hands and brain up to drawing and demystify the intimidation of a blank page.  There is no wrong way to complete this activity. Upload your sketch(es) here.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Nov 27 12 4:44 PM

I tried this as I was filling the feeders this morning.  It was 10°F.  The ink froze in the pen I was trying to use and my fingers weren't working really well...  LOL  Can I set up a feeder inside and sketch it there? 

I think pencil might be a wiser choice for northern climes.  I'll try that tomorrow! 

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 28 12 9:45 PM

It warmed up enough to use the pen this morning.    I spent a little time sketching some of the dead plants in the well garden, then moved on to the feeder line.  A tufted titmouse came by--they're still new to here and I'm thrilled to have them here, so I got a little distracted by it...hence the floating bird over to the right!  LOL 

Click here to view the attachment
Click here to view the attachment

West central WI in a large tract of county forest with a 20-acre woodland wetland just to the south. 
BOSS, sunflower hearts, nyjer, suet, dried meal worms (all year); nectar and grape jelly (spring thru fall).

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Nov 29 12 12:08 AM

Hazel, you got talent, good job.

luv2bird

2 Sunflower Hearts Auto Feeders,  1 Shelled Peanut Feeder,  2 Sunflower/ woodpecker Mix Platform Feeders,  4 Hanging Bell Seed Feeders,  1 Hanging "bell type" Roasted Mealworm Feeder,  1 unshelled Peanut Platform Feeder,  2 Mixed Bird Seed feeders,  2 Thistle Feeders,  2 Ground Feeders with Corn and a Critter Seed Block,  2 Corn Cob Feeders,  1 Brush Pile
/LandlockedS.W. PA./Sugar/Red Maple//Pines/Rose of Sharons/Allegheny/Downy Serviceberry/Hawthorns/2Burning bushes w berries   

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Nov 29 12 12:36 AM

Hazel lovely.  The artist suffers for her craft.  No frost bite please.   Great Job.  I am looking forward to doing the same.  After  10 loads of wash and all that mail  to catch up on.   OH NO>  holiday decorating.  I will need to sit still and sketch.  Ginny H.  

Ocean Co. South NJ Walled patio 10 Crape Myrtle, Pine forest and bushes oak cherry lawn pond. one seed feeder, one suet, 4 hummingbird feeders, one sock.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 29 12 4:03 PM

Damned good, Fred! And I know it's difficult capturing those fast-moving feeders! Seriously, though, quite impressive.

Nick

Nick Whelan Corte Madera (Bay Area), CA – a small rural/suburban yard landscaped for wildlife, at the edge of extensive forest- and chaparral-covered wild land. 15 feeders. www.flickr.com/photos/nick-eurohobby

Quote    Reply   

barbk

fanatic

#10 [url]

Nov 29 12 4:20 PM

Congratulations to all who have posted their sketches.  They were all excellent.  I can only draw stick people, so any bird I sketch will be a stick bird with a beak. 

Barbara, Jersey shore, backyard 1/4 acre with mostly oak trees. 6 feeders, suet, and 2 bird baths.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Nov 29 12 5:10 PM

@fredz You took the name of this activity quite literally. :)  The facilitators were on a call when your post came in and we were collectively charmed by your bird at the bottom.  I wonder (somewhat seriously) if you noticed anything you never noticed about your feeders through sketching them so intricately?

Beck

Quote    Reply   

fredz

fanatic

#14 [url]

Nov 29 12 6:09 PM

Beck, not so much on the feeders. More about my own observation skills with the bird. Capturing what is there more so than what you think or expect from each perspective.The eyes of the titmouse are a good example. My brain told me that they have very large round eyes but looking head on that's not what I saw. Had I put what my brain told me it would have looked more like an owl. I have a bad habit of seeing what I want to see not what is actually there. Working on it :}

Rural South Central Michigan s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu111/ftzilch/ Updated 4/18/11

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Nov 29 12 10:39 PM

I like your titmouse better than mine, Fred!  Awesome little guy!  I actually recognize your sketched feeders from your pictures!!  I'm glad they held still for you!  heheh

Beck, those look like really neat feeders, but we have dogs that love to eat seed chaff and then...well...let's just say their tummies object.  So we have to keep all the feeders outside the fence.  When it gets really cold again, I'll just have to switch to pencil...and maybe get some of those mitten-gloves...

And if you got from the sketches that most of my feeders hang crookedly, then my drawings were successful!  LOL

Quote    Reply   

maryf

fanatic

#18 [url]

Nov 30 12 10:19 AM

Well, look at you all! Great sketches! I hope to have the time to contribute... it's been pretty hectic 'round my life lately...so,Fred...is that REALLY the Eurasian Collared Dove or did you just dress up a MODO? LOL!

Mary Watkins urban backyard in SW New Jersey with forest field, farm, river, lake and marsh within 3 miles

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Nov 30 12 11:14 AM

I sat in the kitchen this morning (a day off, daylight to watch the birds, hooray!) and had a cup of tea and my sketch pad. One of the cats came in and yowled at me because I had the audacity to not pay sufficient attention to him. Here's what I did instead:

The written notes are mostly bird IDs. The male cardinal has such an interesting profile when he lowers his crest and I did not get it right; I was noting my idea for trying next time (i.e. lengthen the head). The bird on the lower right is, I think, a female house finch, but like many females is tough to tell. I noted the field markings for her. My personal favorite of these quick sketches is the bottom center, which is a Carolina wren -- he was all fluffed up with the cold and utterly adorable. They're one of my favorite birds.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Nov 30 12 1:16 PM

Very nice, Fredz and Leinawea, both did a wonderful job.

luv2bird

2 Sunflower Hearts Auto Feeders,  1 Shelled Peanut Feeder,  2 Sunflower/ woodpecker Mix Platform Feeders,  4 Hanging Bell Seed Feeders,  1 Hanging "bell type" Roasted Mealworm Feeder,  1 unshelled Peanut Platform Feeder,  2 Mixed Bird Seed feeders,  2 Thistle Feeders,  2 Ground Feeders with Corn and a Critter Seed Block,  2 Corn Cob Feeders,  1 Brush Pile
/LandlockedS.W. PA./Sugar/Red Maple//Pines/Rose of Sharons/Allegheny/Downy Serviceberry/Hawthorns/2Burning bushes w berries   

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help